MS MobilityStrength Multiple Sclerosis

MS MobilityStrength Multiple Sclerosis
As a person with MS, I bring a personal commitment to the work I do.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

My MS Eyes

20/20 VISION

  Growing up I took my eyesight for granted. My vision changed while I was in Jr. High School. I was nearsighted and had to wear corrective lenses in school to see the chalkboard. I thought 'Oh well I have to wear glasses', no big deal.
   When I turned 16 and was learning how to drive I discovered that I needed to wear glasses while driving. No big deal, I just need to wear corrective lens while driving and at school.
   But, after a short while I needed to start wearing them to watch T.V. also. I still didn't wear my glasses all the time though.
   When I started my full time office job I was having difficulty seeing things at a distance in the office. Well guess what? I basically started wearing my glasses 24/7. This became quite annoying with the pressure of the glasses on the bridge of my nose.
   After a few years of putting up with this I decided to try contact lenses. This was the best decision I made. No more glasses during the day, only in the evening.
   Then in 1997 at the age of 42, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. One of my major symptoms was not vision loss but nystagmus. This is uncontrolled horizontal or vertical eye movements. The condition reduces vision in a number of ways, including oscillopsia-a sense that the world is wiggling, which may occur in one eye, or both. Mine was in both eyes. It typically causes general poor vision and often loss of balance. I also experienced severe nausea. My eye doctor recently told me that I still have wiggly eyes but not as severe as they were. I notice the wiggly eyes the most when I read the newspaper or when I am out of the house walking or when I am shopping.
My MS Vision Fluctuates.
   My vision changes daily. No two days are the same. I now notice that driving at night is some times difficult so I avoid driving then. I also like wearing my contacts more than my glasses because I can see better with the contacts.
   I have been to the Cole Eye Institute at the Cleveland Clinic for a thorough eye exam. I now have a base line for future exams.
   I am thankful that I have not lost my vision. Everyday is a new day moving forward with my MS life.

Please visit my website: MS MobilityStrength Multiple Sclerosis




Barnes & Noble